Monday, February 1, 2010

Free as in Freedom

The meaning of freedom is vastly misused and misunderstood by many. But not by Mr. M. K. Gandhi or R. M. Stallman. They clearly understood the meaning of "freedom" in its entirety and never compromised on its different levels. Freedom had to be re-told as "Poorna swaraj" in the Indian context. I would translate it as "Complete freedom", though not exactly the same. They are the same in the feelings felt by both the great people.
I have understood freedom exactly after I started using the Debian GNU/Linux(More on this long name later).The freedom to choose what I want, what suits me, what interests me, what inspires me, what I know is right, what I adore, what I comprehend. For the first time I had options(once again, freedom), I felt like I was one among the universe. If all this is too much then I would recommend you to www.fsf.org and go through the GNU GPL ver 1 through 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nobody can deter me away from "free as in freedom" concept seeded by Sri RMS. See to it that u dont make fun of my belief. If u think otherwise, no need to comment.