Ok, You have a streak running Froyo(from the dell official channel). The android implementation is buggy. Lets go ahead and install the hardwork of the devs at XDA and spice up our streak.
1. streak mod recovery from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=840326
2. amss.mbn and dsp1.mbn from here (It is better to try the latest version i.e., 407)
3. Basebands with numbers starting with 4 are for Gingerbread roms(android 2.3). Be careful not to use base bands from Froyo roms(Though people liked the last of the Froyo rom i.e., 366 and are using them in GB roms)
4. fast boot and adb tools from here http://mirror2.streakdroid.com/manii/Tools/Fastboot+ADB.zip Don't install anything. If you followed the previous post every driver required is already there. Just extract it and place all the contents in a folder.
5. copy the recovery.img from step 1 and put it into fastboot+adb/.…../win32/
6. put the amss.mbn and dsp1.mbn also to fastboot+adb/.../win32/
7. Download your favourite custom rom. My favourite rom for streak 5 is by tenontex, here.
Why, because it is easy to install and is based on CM 7.2(Android 2.3.7)
His post lists out all the devs who have sweated in keeping the streak alive. Thanx to all of their endeavours. The procedure for flashing the rom is very straight forward. Once we are finished with flashing recovery, you can follow the procedure in his OP to install the ROM.
8. copy the rom longhorn2.7.zip to the root of the SD card of your device.
Power on the streak while holding the camera button simultaneously. Device will enter into fast boot mode. Now connect it to the computer. Fire up the terminal, change directory to fastboot+adb/.../win32/ .
fastboot.exe -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot.exe -i 0x413c flash dsp1 dsp1.mbn
fastboot.exe -i 0x413c flash amss amss.mbn
fastboot.exe -i 0x413c reboot
Once you run the last command, keep your fingers near the volume up and down button. Once the streak reboots and reaches the dell streak logo, press both the volume buttons simultaneously. This will take you to recovery mode. Here you ail have a black and white screen(This is the recovery of stock rom) with options namely,
1. Factory reset
2. Install update.zip ……..
Use the volume keys to navigate up and down, Use the camera key to select. Select the second option the screen will turn to black background with blue menus. Now we are in streak mod recovery. Use volume keys to navigate and select advanced and then select nandroid and then select full backup. It will take a long time so, be patient.
Use the back key to go back to the original black and blue recovery screen. Here select update from update.zip and select "zip from sd card". Browse to the longhorn2.7.zip. choose yes in the next option. Wait the rom will get installed. From here please follow the steps mentioned in the tenontex post. Please strictly adhere to the steps mentioned there. It is "important".
Thats it. Its been a long journey, but worth it.